Vignette in Photoshop is a very popular visual effect that adds expressiveness to your photo. In this article you will learn how to draw the viewer’s attention to the topic with a vignette.
How to make a vignette in Photoshop
I can make a vignette of any shape, size, color and effect.
I want to focus on the face and slightly change the brightness of the background around the girl. To do that, I’ll create a colored vignette. Later I can use the Eraser tool and remove part of the vignette or leave it as is.
- Open the photo in Photoshop. You can download and use my photo or take your own photo.
- Choose the Rectangle Tool (Rectangle Tool > Shape) and select the vignette area. Photoshop created new layer Rectangle 1 and opened Properties panel.
- In the Properties Panel, I change Subtract front shape like on the image and select Live Shape Properties.
Then I set the fill type of the form and choose the last colors used (I choose gray-white). This set of color filters will help you change the colors in your photo beyond recognition. Select a color filter according to the scene or any other color you want. By leaving the main object unchanged, you change the color of the scene around it.
- Then, I adjust by Free Transform Tool vignette area and press Enter to save transformation.
- In the Properties Panel select Mask and adjust the Feather setting. I like 129 px.
- Set blending mode for the layer. I choose Hard Light. You can pick Soft Light, Multiply and etc.
- Merge Layers.
This was one example of the creative use of vignettes in Photoshop. You can fantasize and create new colors and moods for your photos.