Vignette in Photoshop is a very popular visual effect adding expressiveness to your photo. In this article, you will learn how to draw the attention of a viewer to a subject with a vignette.
How to make a vignette in Photoshop
I can make a vignette of any shape, size, color and effect.
I want to focus on the face and slightly change the brightness of the background around the girl. To do this, I will create a colored vignette. Later, I can use the Eraser tool and remove part of the vignette or leave it as it is.
- Open the photo in Photoshop. You can download and use my photo or take or take your photo.
- Choose the Rectangle Tool (Rectangle Tool > Shape) and select the vignette area. Photoshop created new layer Rectangle 1 and opened Properties panel.
- In the Properties Panel, I change Subtract front shape like on the image and select Live Shape Properties.
Then, I set shape fill type and pick the most recently used colors (I pick gray-white). This set of color filters will help you change the colors in your photo beyond recognition. Choose a filter color well with the scene or any other color you want. Keeping the main subject unchanged, you change the color of the scene around it.
- Then, I adjust by Free Transform Tool vignette area and press Enter to save transformation.
- In the Properties Panel select Mask and adjust the Feather setting. I like 129 px.
- Set blending mode for the layer. I choose Hard Light. You can pick Soft Light, Multiply and etc.
- Merge Layers.
This was one example of the creative use of vignettes in Photoshop. You can fantasize and create new colors and moods for your photos.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 1